2019 Health & Safety Achievements:
- Achieved Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) of 1.6
- Better than Industry Average Range of 2.0 – 3.1
- Achieved Day Away, Restricted or Transfer Rate (DART) of 0.8
- Better than Industry Average Range of 1.3 – 1.5
- Zero Recordable Injuries
- Auto Care: Mexico
- Household Care: Chicago, Denver & Palm Coast
- Pool Care: Ontario
- Zero DART (Days Away, Restricted or Transferred) Cases
- Auto Care: Alsip, Mexico
- Household Care: Chicago, Denver, Hampton & Palm Coast
- Pool Care: Conyers & Ontario
2019 Environmental & Sustainability Achievements:
- Recycled over 7,500 tons of cardboard, plastic and metals resulting in the elimination of 14,000 tons of Greenhouse Gas emissions and the need to harvest over 88,500 trees and use nearly 19,000,000 kWh of electricity.
- At the end of 2019, Greenhouse Gas emissions were 21% below the 2015 baseline year level, a decrease of over 40,000 M.T. of CO2eq emissions.
- Substantial progress was made in reducing chemical wastes. Overall reduction of 54% in chemical wastes was achieved by 2019 from the 2015 baseline, which exceeded the 25% reduction targets set for 2020.
KIK Sustainability Progress
We set ambitious reduction goals as part of our commitment to environmental responsibility. We targeted the following reductions by 2020:
- 25% reduction in solid and chemical waste from 2015 baseline.
- 25% reduction in water consumption and wastewater discharge from 2015 baseline.
- 25% reduction in carbon footprint (CO2eq) from 2015 emissions.
Progress towards goals through 2019
- Solid Waste to Landfill: 8% reduction (nearly 450 tons).
- Chemical Waste: 54% reduction (over 16,000 tons).
- Water Consumption: 3% increase (27 million gallons).
- Wastewater Discharge: 11% increase (59 million gallons).
- Carbon Footprint (CO2eq): 21% reduction (over 40,000 metric tons).
Reduce waste, pollution and carbon footprint
- Over 5,000 tons of cardboard collected and recycled resulting in the elimination of 5,200 metric tons of Greenhouse Gas emissions.
- Nearly 1,500 tons of plastic collected and recycled resulting in the elimination of 4,600 metric tons of Greenhouse Gas emissions.
- Nearly 1,000 tons of metals collected and recycled resulting in the elimination of 4,100 metric tons of Greenhouse Gas emissions.
- Several facilities made processing changes to improve recovery and rework of spent or off-specification products. These efforts also reduced the amount of waste generated.
- Active programs in place to recycle other potential waste streams such as glass, office paper, plastic banding, pallets, and lunchroom cans and bottles.